Discover Studying Abroad

Science research funding for international undergraduates in Canada

If you're enrolled for full-time study in Canada, here’s a chance to work with doctoral scholars in Germany
BY BrainGain Magazine Staff Writer |   09-12-2016
Above: Slides at the Garching Research Campus of the Technical University of Munich (image by digital cat, used under CC license)

If you are an international full-time undergraduate student at a Canadian university, studying biology, chemistry, physics, earth sciences, or engineering (or a closely related field), here’s an opportunity for you. You are eligible to apply for a RISE-Globalink Research Internship, which lets you undertake research at eligible institutions in Germany. Selected applicants have the opportunity to participate in a 10-week to three-month research project supervised by a doctoral student at a German university or institute.

The application deadline is January 15, 2017. Projects should take 10-12 weeks, and be conducted between May and September, 2017.



Mitacs, a Canadian non-profit organization, will award successful applicants $5,200 to support travel and accommodation costs and a student stipend, based on a 12-week internship. The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) will cover health and accident insurance, and providelogistical support such as information on visas and work permits, finding accommodation, and research arrangements.

Mitacs and the DAAD aim to ensure that students who do the RISE-Globalink Research Internship get a high-quality research experience, working with talented PhD students who help expand their knowledge and provide hands-on training. 

Recipients of the RISE-Globalink research internships get to build an international research network, develop research skills, gain cultural and international exposure, and become part of Canada’s next generation of global innovators.

Mitacs recognizes that funding may not be adequate to cover all costs, and encourages applicants to seek support from other sources.



Prospective applicants must review the list of available projects in their discipline on the RISE Germany internship database. Then they can apply for the RISE-Globalink Research Internship through the RISE Germany application portal. The results will be announced in Spring 2017.



To apply, you must be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, or an international student there. If you happen to have German citizenship, you can still apply if you can prove that you’ve been living outside Germany for at least six years.

You should be at least 18 years old, and registered for full-time undergraduate study at a Canadian university in the fields mentioned above. Also, you should have completed at least two years in a four- or five-year undergraduate degree program, have a minimum grade average of 80% (or equivalent), be fluent in English, meet all travel requirements, and demonstrate skills and interests suitable for your chosen project.

For more information, click here.



Can't Read  
Enter Above Code:


Sign Up for our newsletter

Sign Up for latest updates and Newsletter